2012 MacBook Air Has Quiet Asymmetrical Fans
Apple announced that the 2012 Retina display MacBook Pro has asymmetrical fans, but there is good news for those looking to buy the new MacBook Air.
iFixIt teardown of the 2012 MacBook Air confirms that its fan is the new asymmetrical design, just like the Retina MBP:
“We were hoping to find a new asymmetrical fan, and we were not disappointed!
The wider gaps in the fan blades are around 3.6 mm, while the narrower ones are approximately 2.8 mm.”
Other new features include new microphone for voice dictation.
What about upgradability of the 2012 MacBook Air?
- RAM, like the previous generations, are not upgradeable to keep the new MBA thin.
- SSD is removable but uses different connector than previous generation. That means it’s not upgradeable right now but third parties might sell compatible SSD in a few months.
- The case uses proprietary screws that require a certain pentalobe screwdriver, which they sell.
- New MacBook Pro: 4K Retina Display + Radically Thin, $2199
- Apple Retina MacBook Pro TV Ad + Video Walkthrough
- Apple Inventory System Revealed New 2012 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, & Mac Pro
- Retina Display 15-Inch MacBook Pro with SSD: Rumored Specs
- MacBook Air: New Ivy Bridge Processors, USB 3, 720P Facetime Camera