Denver Broncos Switching to iPad Playbooks
American football team Denver Broncos describes benefits of iPad over paper playbooks.
Denver Post, “Broncos transfer traditional playbooks to iPads for 2012 season“:
“The Denver Broncos are tossing out the tradition of printing 500-page playbooks every week for each of the 120 players, coaches, scouts and other personnel.
This season, the team will hand out iPads that feature the week’s game plan, scouting reports, video clips and other relevant data.”
Benefits of using iPad playbooks:
- Save money on printing (just like the iPad electronic flight bags for airlines)
- Broncos head coach John Fox can add videos and updates, which are pushed to all their iPad playbooks
- Notes can be saved from iPad onto server. In contrast, notes are trashed everyweek when they use paper playbooks
- Saves time. No need to bring in the team to update them on new plays
- Better security:
- Remote wipe using Apple’s Find My iPhone
- If the device is disconnected from the network, the custom app erases the Playbook after a predetermined amount of time
Besides all the benefits for using iPad as a playbook, the Denver Broncos is also planning to incorporate business and player operations into their iPad, possibly the first among fellow iPad using sports teams:
- NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers + Baltimore Ravens Use iPad Playbook
- NBA Teams Use iPad As Real Playbook Tablet