Chronic: Misinformation of “iPhone Passcode Cracked in 2 Minutes”
iOS mobile developer and security researcher Chronic sets the record straight on the iPhone / Android cracking software XRY demo video.
On the “two minute passcode cracking” claims the first Svbtle post by Chronic / Will Strafach:
“The ‘iPhone passcode can be cracked in two minutes!’ linkbait headlines going around has been bothering me”
@Chronic explained that the UMSAB XRY software uses publicly released jailbreak, in this case the old “limera1n: exploit by George Hotz. In addition:
- It does not work on iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3
- “The ‘two minutes’ it takes to crack your passcode will only hold true if your passcode is 0000, the passcode that XRY showed in their demo video.” It will take much longer than 2 minutes to crack the passcode for those using a longer alphanumeric password.
We might add that it does not work on iOS 5.1 on the latest iOS devices, because there is no public jailbreak at this time. In addition, the video also showed Android passcode being cracked. Few sites talked about it, probably because Android security problems are so common.
The original misleading “v6.2 smartphone support video” that showed only iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1 being cracked by the software (first 8 minutes about iPhone then 3 minutes about Android being cracked) was removed by its publisher. Their new video “Whats new in v6.2″ explained its limitations better:
- Cydia’s Saurik Fixes PDF Exploit on Jailbreaked & Older iOS Devices
- App Store / iOS Code Signing Security Flaw [Video]
- Apple Smartphone Lacks Security? iPhone Hacked / Cracked in 20 Seconds? The Whole Story
- Untethered iOS 5.1.1 Jailbreak Coming In “Days” for iPad 3, iPhone, iPod touch
- Real greenpois0n iOS 4.1 Shatter Jailbreak Download Details