PSA: How to Contribute to iOS Jailbreaking (Updated)
Pod2G is working on iOS 5.1 untethered jailbreak for iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iPad 3. Here’s what you can do to help.
iOS security research Pod2G on how to help the jailbreak effort:
You can help if you can crash either a core application (Safari, Mail, etc…) or the kernel in a repeatable way. A kernel crash is easy to recognize : it reboots the device.
Important facts :
- Always test on the latest iOS version before reporting a crash (at the time of writing, iOS 5.1)
- Be sure to not report crashes to Apple : on your iOS device, go to Settings / General / About / Diagnostics & Usage, and verify that “Don’t Send” is checked.
- Not all crashes are interesting : aborts, timeouts or out-of-memory kind of crashes are useless. Verify the crash dump in Settings / General / About / Diagnostics & Usage / Diagnostic & Usage Data that the crash report you created is of Exception Type SIGILL, SIGBUS or SIGSEGV.
- The crash should be repeatable, which means you should know what exact steps produced it and how to reproduce it on another device.
If you can reproduce the crash, send steps to reproduce and crash report to ios.pod2g ‘at’ gmail ‘dot’ com. For technical details of an untethered iOS jailbreak, see the Pod2G blog post linked above.
Update: Pod2G tweeted more details
- An example of a good crash report : *when I open this url (xxx) Safari crashes. Or *when I open this pdf (xxx) file, Mail crashes. UI (interface) bugs, happening when one clicks on this button, then this one, etc. are not worth it.”
- No SIGABRT crashes… Only SIGILL, SIGBUS or SIGSEGV.
- No third party app crashes
Recently Pod2G and fellow jailbreakers gave us the iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak for iPhone 4S and iPad 2.