Why iPhone Doesn’t Have Real-Time Navigation with Google Maps
Google openness at work.
Although the Maps app was made by Apple, In reality, the reason iPhone doesn’t have real time navigation is because Google placed all kinds of restrictions on Google Maps use. Here’s the current Google Maps/Earth Terms of Service:
2. Restrictions on Use […]
(g) use the Service or Content with any products, systems, or applications for or in connection with (i) real time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronized to the position of a user’s sensor-enabled device
The irony is that for years, Google has been advertising that open is good, and closed is bad. So, why won’t Google open source Google Maps, Google Search, or AdSense?
It’s a good thing that Apple now owns 3D mapping company C3, so iOS Maps App will be no longer subjected to Google’s restrictions.
In related news, Google’s restrictions of Android 3 distribution actually resulted in most Android vendors losing their Linux license. These companies are now stealing open-sourced software instead of conforming to the free license.
- Apple Introduces 3D Maps + iOS Turn-by-Turn Navigation
- iPhone 5 Maps Turn-By-Turn Navigation vs. Android / Car GPS
- iPhone, iPad Gains Free Turn by Turn Navigation App with Voice Directions From MapQuest, Sans Google
- Wikipedia: Google Maps Closed to Some Android Devices, Switches to OpenStreetMap
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus Navigation Feature Drains Battery – Even While Charging [Samsunged]