Official Star Trek Padd on iPad
Details + video demo of official Star Trek Starfleet PADD (Personal Access Display Device) iPad app.
Trailer: Star Trek Padd for iPad
Take your iPad to the final frontier. Star Trek PADD [App Store, $4.99] iPad LCARS was by CBS Interactive this Monday. Features includes:
- Browse or search through official database of Star Trek television series information, including aliens, ships, places, technologies, and episode guide
- Rich, immersive LCARS graphical interface, introduced in Star Trek: The Next Generation television series
- Authentic computer sound effects and voice
- Jump to related information through cross-links to other content
- Read the latest news from the Star Trek Facebook page and Star Trek Twitter feed (read only)
- Enjoy two self-running diagnostic modes with an overview schematic of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D
Star Trek Padd Review
9 minute Star Trek Padd demo from Trek Movie (unofficial blog):
OP watches Star Trek movies but not enough of a trekkie to buy it. Many folks said it looks authentic. But many areas need improvement, here’s a list compiled by ObamaPacman from v1.0.0 Star Trek PADD reviews on iTunes:
- Epic FAIL: It accesses the StarTrek.com website, however the videos on site are made in FLASH. So you’ll see “please download flash to view this.” Needs mobile optimizes video.
- Background bridge noise / sound effects should not happen without user interaction. Currently they play themselves at random. (Some people like this, but many people hate this). Should be a setting to change it.
- Content is sorted only in alphabetical list. Should be able to pick show, season, and episode. Should also sort by ships, casts, characters, etc.
- Text info could be too brief and incomplete
- GUI needs improvements. Some buttons don’t do anything, or have inconsistent behaviors.
Possible features to add:
- Text to speech. Doesn’t the computer read the text in Star Trek shows?
- Sound board, where you push buttons to control sound effects
- Ability to view images full screen, or zoom
- More multimedia content such as 3d models
- Portrait mode (currently only landscape mode). PADD are used vertically in the show.
- Ability to email from app. (You can email pizza rolls from Red Letter Media’s iPhone app zone. There’s no excuse not to include email with Star Trek GUI and “Captain’s log, star date…”)
Would you think future Star Trek movies should just use iPad with improved version of this app?
[App Store, $4.99]