How to Burn OS X Lion Install Disk / Make USB Thumbdrive
Guide on how to backup OS X Lion Mac App Store download ‘InstallESD.dmg’ to DVD or thumbdrive.
Download OS X Lion + Find DMG
To save room, Lion deletes the installer after install. So, to backup OS X Lion installer, you need to do the following BEFORE you install it.
- Download OS X Lion from Mac App Store [$29.99]
- Look for “Install Mac OS X Lion” in your Application folder
- Right click (control-click) and select “Show Package Contents”
- Go into ‘Contents’ folder, and inside ‘SharedSupport’ folder, the Lion installer is inside in a disk image named ‘InstallESD.dmg’
- Double-click ‘InstallESD.dmg’ to mount it. You can option+drag to somewhere else to copy it.
Burn OS X Lion Install Disk
- Open Disk Utility
- InstallESD.dmg should show up on the left pane
- Burn it at the slowest speed possible to DVD+R or DVD-R
Make OS X Lion USB Thumbdrive Install Disk
- Get a 8GB thumb drive [from $6 on Amazon] (also works with SD card or Mac formatted harddrive parition).
- Open Disk Utility. Select the drive or partition.
- Go to ‘Erase’ tab and choose “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. And Erase.
- Go to ‘Restore’ tab. Drag InstallESD.dmg from left pane into ’source’. Select thumbdrive as destination. Click restore.
Install Lion From DVD or Thumbdrive
- Remember to backup your current Snow Leopard partition (for example with Time Machine, or with Disk Utility by cloning whole drive to another empty drive or partition).
- Insert your DVD or attach your thumbdrive. Restart while holding ‘Option’ key. Select the Mac OS X drive and boot from it.
If you want to see the steps with images, see [osxdaily], or comment below for clarifications.