iOS 5: Improved Notifications, Twitter Integration, PC Free
WWDC 2011: iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch has 200 new features, including brand new notification center, wifi sync, and more.
- Notification Center: shows notifications from top. Doesn’t interrupt. Can go straight to app from lock screen by sliding.
- News Stand: subscription of most magazines and newspaper publishers. Background download to read offline.
- Twitter: built into iPhone. Tweet articles from safari, videos from youtube, locations from maps.
- Safari: 2/3 of mobile web browsing is done on Safari (so much for Android popular claims). Safari Reader will strip ads and put multiples pages to single page (minimizes page clicks and ad serving). Similar to instapaper. Save later / Sync. Has new tabs.
- Reminders: multiple lists with dates. Can be location based! Can check reminder for “when I arrive” and “when I leave.”
- Camera: even faster, with lock screen shortcut to get to the camera. Double home and click camera icon. Works even with passcode mode (but can’t access anything else witout password). Pinch to zoom, grid lines, crop & rotate, red eye reduction, and “auto-enhance.”
- Mail: rich text formatting, flagging, search, indent. New split keyboard mode on iPad (for all apps).
- PC FREE: “We’re living in a post-PC world.” Can now use iPad or iPhone as only device. No more computer iTunes set up. Set up and activate right on the device. software updates are now over the air, with delta (small incremental) updates instead of full firmware download each time.
- Game Center: “Xbox live around 8 years, they have around 30m users.” iOS Game Center has 50 million unique users.
- iMessage: Text messages, photos, videos, contacts, group messaging with delivery receipts, read receipts, typing indication. Works on 3G and WiFi.
- WiFi Sync, at night while charging
- Mirror iPad 2 to TV wirelessly with AirPlay (to Apple TV (2010), $97 on Amazon).
- Multitasking gestures on iPad
iOS 5 supports iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad and iPad 2, 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch. Available in the fall. (Probably when iPhone 5 / 4GS comes out).
More at Apple iOS 5 preview page.