Apple Introduces 5 New Thunderbolt MacBook Pro
Apple today introduces two 13-inch, two 15-inch, and one 17-inch new Thunderbolt MacBook Pro with new awesome features!
New 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pro Features
The all new Apple MacBook Pro 2011 Spring lineup will include:
- New Sandy Bridge processors using the second generation / latest Intel Core i platform.
- Processor includes Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, which “automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it’s operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.”
- Thunderbolt, a new high-speed data (Intel Light Peak) combined with display port made for expandability. At up to 10 Gbps Thunderbolt is great for high performance RAID (good for video editing), and expected to replace the slowly adopted new USB 3.0. Thunderbolt throughput speed is measured at up to 20 times faster than with USB 2.0 and more than 12 times faster than with FireWire 800 and can be can be daisy chained. Lacie and other RAID and accessories coming soon. (Apple Thunderbolt page).
- Built in HD iSight camera / FaceTime video cam.
All new MacBook Pro will continue to feature:
- Aluminum unibody enclosure
- LED-backlit widescreen display
- Multi-Touch trackpad
- Illuminated full-size keyboard
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iLife
Model Specific Features
- 13″ MBP has integrated graphics, while 15″ and 17″ has hybrid discreet and integrated graphics.
- 13″ and 15″ comes with SDXC card slot, while the 17″ has a ExpressCard/34 slot.
Thunderbolt MacBook Pro Battery Life
All models are listed as 7 hour battery life “wireless web testing.” The new MacBook Pro battery test is done with display brightness set to 50%, using preproduction 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 17-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro units and preproduction 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7–based 13-inch MacBook Pro units.
Availability, Shipping Time
Currently all new Apple Thunderbolt MacBook Pro models ship in 1 to 2 business days. Built to order currently shipping in 1 to 3 business days:
Apple MacBook Pro Core i5 Dual 2.3GHz 13″ Notebook for $1,199
Apple MacBook Pro Core i7 Dual 2.7GHz 13″ Notebook for $1,499
Apple MacBook Pro Core i7 QUAD 2.0GHz 15″ Notebook for $1,799
Apple MacBook Pro Core i7 QUAD 2.2GHz 15″ Notebook for $2,199
Apple MacBook Pro Core i7 QUAD 2.2GHz 17″ Notebook for $2,499
Benchmarks coming soon.
Apple Cinema Display with DisplayPort would be the last device in the Thunderbolt chain so it doesn’t need to be updated. But Apple might update it with HD webcam sometime in the future (don’t hold your breath though).
- 2011 Spring MacBook Pro Benchmarks: Faster Than 2010 Quad MAC PRO
- Apple Introduces Sandy Bridge MacBook Air, Mac Mini, & Cinema Display with Thunderbolt
- iMac Updated with Quad-Core, Sandy Bridge, & Thunderbolt
- Apple introduces 13-Inch MacBook Pro with IPS Retina Display
- Leaked: New Thunderbolt MacBook Pro 13″ Specs