Skype Releases 3G Video Calls for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad
Skype 3.0 now adds video calls to iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad over WiFi and 3G.
Looks like no CES 2011 video chat announcement for the VoIP service provider Skype after all? Or will there be a Verizon iPhone surprise. The new Skype now brings it closer to desktop version, with video calls, IM, and voice calls over your mobile 3G data connection or WiFi. Features:
- Make Skype to Skype video calls on WiFi and 3G*
- Call Skype desktop users (Mac OS X or Windows) and other iPhone users.
- Two-way video calls supported on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 4th gen.
- Receive only video supported on iPad and iPod touch 3rd gen, with no camera.
- Make video calls in portrait and landscape.
- Skype video calling requires iOS 4.0 or above.
Skype 3.0 Video Call version, iOS device Support:
- This version works on iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad and iPod touch. Skype requires iPhone OS version 3.0 or above.
- Calling functionality is available on iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad and 2nd generation iPod touch onwards. iPod touch requires a compatible headset with a microphone.
- Near CD quality sound for Skype-to-Skype calls using wideband audio (SILK codec) on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad and 2nd & 3rd generation iPod touch.
Although Skype claims iPad support, it only works in x2 mode on the iPad. Download Skype for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad [itunes link]