Apple Provides Free Find My iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch Service
Apple’s “Find My iPhone” cloud service is now free for those with the latest generation iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch running iOS 4.2.
Until now a part of Mobile Me cloud services, which is $99 per year from Apple (about $8 per month) or cheaper on Amazon [on sale for $42] (older box, but still works), “Find My Phone” let you find your device. It’s now available for iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch 4G (fourth generation) users, for free.
Sign Up for Free Find My iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
How to Sign Up?
Apple describes: “Create a free Find My iPhone account on any iPhone 4, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation) running iOS 4.2. Once you create an account on a qualifying device, use your Apple ID and password to enable Find My iPhone on your other devices running iOS 4.2. Find My iPhone is not available in all countries.”
Here’s a summary of the detailed instructions from Apple:
- Create a new MobileMe Account on qualified device under Settings / Mail / Add Account / MobileMe.
- Enter your Apple ID and password (iTunes Store Account works).
- Check your email account to verify the account.
- Return to the MobileMe screen and switch on Find My iPhone, then tap allow when the Find My iPhone message appears.
How to Use Apple’s Find My iPhone?
Find My iPhone on Older iOS Devices
Find My iPhone also works on older iOS devices, you would need MobileMe (might want to call up Apple to confirm your specific device). Here’s how to sign up when you get your MobileMe box:
- Go to www.me.com/activate
- Type in the code provided in the box
- Choose “Apply to an existing account” for a renewal or “Create new account”
- Click Submit